We Stand With Planned Parenthood
CHOICES is proud to stand with our esteemed colleagues at Planned Parenthood Greater Memphis Region and the Planned Parenthood Federation of America in the face of misleading claims spread by an anti-choice organization with violent ties.
We know firsthand how myths and anti-choice propaganda often take the place of facts and data in efforts to limit access to abortion care. People who do not want abortions to be safe and legal use every trick in the book to achieve their goal, including illegal and highly edited videotapes, spying, and twisting the truth. The alternative to legal abortion is forced childbirth. Donating fetal tissue from a legal abortion for the benefit of medical research at the request or with the consent of the patient is not selling baby parts. It is advancing science and saving lives.
This is what we do know about Planned Parenthood. Seventy-eight percent of their patients live with incomes of 150 percent of the federal poverty level or less, the equivalent of $35,775 a year for a family of four in 2014. Every year, in addition to safe abortions, their health centers provide the following services to 2.7 million patients:
- family planning counseling and contraception to 2.1 million patients
- more than 1.1 million pregnancy tests
- nearly 400,000 Pap tests
- nearly 500,000 lifesaving breast exams
- screenings to 88,000 women whose cancer was detected early or whose abnormalities were identifi ed and addressed
- nearly 4.5 million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including 700,000 HIV tests, and diagnoses of more than 169,000 STIs
- 1.4 million emergency contraception kits
- education programs and outreach to more than 1.5 million people
At CHOICES, our thanks goes to all those courageous and passionate professionals at Planned Parenthood in Memphis and across the country who provide these critical services. You and your family should be thanking them, too.
Rebecca Terrell, Executive Director, CHOICES.