CHOICES is seeking designers to create fashions out of condoms for this year’s CONDOMONIUM.
CONDOMONIUM is part party, part public awareness event, and the signature fundraiser for CHOICES. This year’s CONDOMONIUM is going to be bigger and better than ever! New venue (The Columns), new layout (think lots of tables), new schedule of events, new online voting, and lots more! The theme this year is “Roaring into the ‘20s: The Future is Fierce,” playing into the wonderful art deco vibe of The Columns. Join us!
CHOICES Memphis Center for Reproductive Health is a small (but mighty) non-profit organization providing reproductive health care, education, and policy advocacy around reproductive health and reporoductive rights.
Funds raised from CONDOMONIUM will be used to support CHOICES’ programs and services.
Prizes and Benefits
- Your design talents will support CHOICES unique services to the community.
- Each participating designer will each receive one year of free Reproductive Wellness Care from CHOICES (up to $500 value). This benefit can be used by the designer or gifted to someone else.
- Each designer will receive Free Admission to the event for themselves and their model, plus two additional guest tickets (up to $200 value).
- Professional hair and make-up services for models provided for final event.
Designer Schedule and Deadlines
|November 18, 2018||Designer Brunch and Condom Pick-Up|
|January 7, 2019||Designers’ initial sketches or research collages due by 5 pm|
|February 1, 2019||In-process photo and model name/contact/bio info due by 5 pm|
|March 21, 2019||VIP Design Preview party. Modeled designs (final or in progress)|
|March 30, 2019||CONDOMONIUM! 7 – 10 pm, The Columns, Downtown|
CHOICES will provide Apparel Designers with equal allotments of raw (unlubricated) condoms (approximately 200-300).
- It is expected that all condoms provided will be used in the apparel designs.
- The choice to implement condom wrappers or additional condoms at designer’s expense in final designs is optional.
- CHOICES will reimburse each designer up to $50 for additional fabric and notions. Please keep and submit all receipts.
- Designers must provide their own models for both the Preview Party and the main event.
- Designs must be wearable with a sustainable base; it is expected that sturdy, appropriate closures are utilized—please refrain from using hot glue, tape, or hand-stitching to secure your “look” on your model for the event.
- Some, but not all, components of final designs are required to be original construction (e.g., you may purchase a blouse to go with a skirt you design and build, or purchase a belt to go with a dress you design and build.)
- Finished designs will become the property of CHOICES to be used for promotional purposes including being displayed by CHOICES, event sponsors, and local partners
For more information please email Marilyn Koester, our Designer Committee Chair at firstname.lastname@example.org