For many people, local anesthesia provides sufficient pain management for a first trimester surgical abortion. If you have a low pain threshold, or would just rather be “asleep” during your procedure, CHOICES offers the option of conscious sedation provided by a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA).
Once you check in for your appointment, the CRNA will meet with you to discuss whether there may be any individual health issues that might make you ineligible for this option. These include but are not limited to things like:
- Upper Respiratory Infection
- Uncontrolled Blood Pressure
- Sleep Apnea
- Cardiac Anomalies
If the CRNA agrees that you are a good candidate for sedation, then the procedure will be explained to you in detail and you will be asked to sign a consent for these services.
A small needle with a tube (IV catheter) will be placed in your arm and monitors will track your breathing and heart rate. Medicine will be given to you through the IV to make you fall asleep while the procedure is performed. You will be monitored the entire time you are under sedation. You will wake up feeling well, but you will still need to have someone available to drive you home.
If the CRNA decides you are not a good candidate for this service, or if you change your mind and do not want sedation, any additional fees you may have paid for this service (minus the non-refundable $50 deposit) will be refunded. You can still choose to have your scheduled procedure that day with local anesthesia.
Important: if you choose sedation…
- you may NOT HAVE ANYTHING TO EAT OR DRINK FOR 6 HRS prior to your scheduled appointment except a sip of water with morning meds if applicable.
- you must have a LICENSED DRIVER with you. They will need to sign a form that says they agree to drive you home after your procedure.
- if you have asthma and use an inhaler, please bring it with you for your appointment
For more information on abortion procedures, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.